Monday, March 31, 2008

The ninth week: the beginning of our practice...

On Monday Iva, Sylvie and me met at 9.10 am in front of the church. We are doing our practice at the Kristne Friskole, a private christian school. There we were welcomed warmly by the English teacher, Else. She showed us around the school and we observed two English lessons with her. One lesson was in the 3rd grade and the other lesson in the 7th grade. In the third grade the pupils had to create their own house in paper and cardboard. Else asked us to assist and participate in the lesson so I helped some pupils with their houses. It was strange to communicate with them because they only speak a few words of English (it is their first year) and I don't speak Danish so we had some difficulties in understanding each other.. But I liked this lesson a lot. In the 7th grade the pupils started a reading project today. They have to read 6 small books in English and write reports about them. They also have to make a drawing for each book..

I am very happy to do my practice at this school because the school is wonderful, the teachers are warm and friendly and the way the pupils are teached and approached by the teachers is great. Every pupil is approached individualy. This is something the teachers in Belgium don't do..

In the afternoon Iva and I worked on our weblogs at school and at 6 pm we met at Kate's place again to finish our English presentation. I returned back home at 10 pm and went to bed at 10.30.


On Tuesday Kate, Daniel, Sylvie, Iva and me met in front of the church at 8 am. Today was our presentation of our snap shots of "Extremely loud and incredibly close". We made 7 posters (three for Oskar, four for the grand parents). Jette, our teacher, loved the posters. Each of us presented one. The other students thought our presentation was great...

Afterwards, at 10 am, Iva, Sylvie and me went to the Kristne Friskole for our practice. Today we observed a music lesson where the pupils of the 3rd grade sang religious songs, they prepared their act for a musical and they danced the "Sacha", the "Polonnaise" and a line dance. We participated and had a lot of fun. We also observed a Danish lesson. This was a little bit more complicated.. Our Danish isn't that good.. But the children spook about their hobbies and their spare time. Some of the hobbies they mentionned were: dancing, playing the drums, going to the scouts, collecting stamps, playing basketball, e.g. . The teacher's name is Ann-Mari. I could see that she loves her job. She is very enthousiastic and motivated and she has a very good relationship with all her pupils.

In the afternoon I went to school to work on the internet and at 2 pm manu and I started working on our thesis. We finished at 5 pm and then I went for a small walk in Haderslev. The weather is really getting better now...

In the evening I stayed at home and read in my book. I went to bed at 11 pm.

On Wednesday Iva, Sylvie and me met each other already at 7.40 at the church! The lessons at Kristne Friskole start at 8 am in the morning.. Very early :-) Our first two lessons of the day were Danish in the 3rd grade. In the beginning of the first hour the students presented themselves to us in English. Afterwards they read a story in small groups. The teacher, Ann-Mari, used a bell to start and finish this activity. When they were finished they could write in their workbook and practise the Danish alphabet. At 8.50, 3 other classes joinde us to do the morning prayers. We sang songs and prayed. At 9.05 the second hour started and each pupil went to get a portable in the computer room! This surprised me a lot.. At their age using portable computers.. And every pupil had one.. The school owns 25 portable computers the teachers and pupils can use. It also owns 25 big computers in a computer room. And... They also have a wireless internet connection! This is something you wouldn't see in the primary schools in Belgium. They had to type a small texte about their hobby.


Afterwards we observed another English lesson. Here the pupils started the lesson with a small test about the irregular verbs and then they continued their reading project. Some of them had already finished a book report.

After our practice I went to school to work on the internet. At 4 pm Manu joined me at school and we worked on our thesis. At around 5.30 pm I went home and at 7 pm Kate, Iva, Sylvie and me went to Thora's place to discuss with our buddies the end of our stay in Haderslev...

When I came home I read in my book and I went to bed at 11 pm.

On Thursday we met at 7.45 in front of the church and the first lesson we observed was an English lessons in the 7th grade. Here they continued their reading project. All pupils read books in silence and wrote book reports. At 10.10 we observed another English lesson in the 4th grade. Here they also continued their reading project and read in books (not really in silence :-) ). The last hour was also an English lesson in the 3rd grade. Here we continued building houses in paper and cardboard. I made trees and flags, I had a lot of time. I felt like a little kid again...

In the afternoon I went to school and I worked on the internet. At 4 pm I went home and read in my book. I just love this book... It is 'The Traveller' by Diana Gabaldon.

In the evening I watched a movie and I went to bed at 11pm.

On Friday I could sleep a bit longer. The first lesson started at 10.10 pm. We oberved two Danish lessons today. During the first lesson the children went to the library to change their books and take new ones. They do this every Friday. Afterwards we returned to the classroom and they read out loud to each other. During the second hour they went to get their portale computers again.. They had to finish the small text about their hobbies.

In the afternoon I went to school to work on my weblog and in the evening we went to the 'Friday Café'. Tonight there was a party called 'Ugly party'. We had a great time. I went to bed at 1 am.




On Saturday I got up at 8 am and manu came over at 10 am to work on our thesis. Our thesis is almost finished... Finally... Manu stayed until 3.30 pm and afterwards I went to school to work on the internet. In the evening I went for a drink at Tribunen and I also watched a movie. I went to bed at 1 am.

On Sunday I got up a bit later, at 9 am and I went to school to call my family on skype. I stayed there until 1 pm. In the afternoon I worked, together with Iva and Sylvie, on our three lessons about London. The last week of our practice we will teach this to the 7th grade. In the evening I stayed at home and I went to bed at 10 pm.

No comments: